Retail companies can create positive brand perceptions, drive more foot traffic, and meet or exceed customer expectations with the help of the functional and aesthetic design of their business spaces. The design and construction of retail spaces can significantly impact how customers interact with and view your business. This asset could improve conversions and increase your bottom line with the correct specifications.
In this guide, you’ll learn about the details of retail building construction, including:
- Essential features of retail buildings
- Types of retail building projects
- Structural considerations
- Planning and essential prerequisites
Before businesses can sell in any retail location, they must consider the various facets necessary in their retail facility. Retail construction ensures that all branding elements are in sync, creating a conducive environment where customers can make purchasing decisions. The goal behind every reliable construction company providing this service is to ensure that all essentials and specifications will be included in the output, the project will be completed within your budget and timeframe, and deliver the completed structure with minimal disruptions to your operations.
What is Retail Building Construction?
Retail construction refers to any construction work that involves building, renovating, and improving commercial retail spaces. Projects that belong to this category include general stores, shopping malls, and small to medium size retail outlets. The process involves creating functional areas that are also visually appealing. The goals behind these projects include incorporating specialized fixtures, integrating various technologies, adding branding elements, better functionality, and design features focused on visual merchandising and improved customer engagement.
Essential Features of Retail Building Construction
Not all retail construction projects are the same since each business will have varying requirements to suit its operations. For this reason, the essential features of retail construction will also vary depending on specific factors, including the target market, type of establishment, available space and size of the structure, and its location.
Here are some of the most common features you should expect with your retail building construction project.
1. Brand Storytelling
Telling your company’s brand story is fast becoming an integral aspect of any marketing strategy, which can also be projected in how you design your commercial spaces. This method helps you avoid a cookie-cutter approach when selling your brand to the public. You can add unique branding features to your storefront’s design to create lasting impressions with your clients, attract new customers, and engage your current clientele.
2. Ample Display Spaces
Retail construction ensures there is enough space for product displays and essential shelving. This approach allows you to showcase your offerings and efficiently manage inventory flow as your team restocks supplies and places them on display.
3. Tech Integration
Successful retail spaces include those that fully embrace technology in their premises. It is already a huge part of shopping, creating a convenient, appealing, and positive client experience. This includes QR code systems, cashier-less checkouts, touch-free technology, and in-store customer analytics.
4. Lighting, Flooring, and HVAC Systems
These design elements in retail building construction provide convenience for customers and employees, creating a pleasant environment where your team can work, accommodate client requests, and provide an excellent shopping experience.
The flooring needs to be durable, clean, and inviting. Some of your options include polished concrete, hardwood, and vinyl surfaces. Proper lighting is also essential to ensure the safety of everyone within the premises of your retail center. It also creates an inviting shopping mood. You can include a variety of lights to enhance the theme in your commercial spaces, such as general lighting, overhead lights, and accent lighting for your product displays.
Designing and maintaining an efficient HVAC system is essential to providing a comfortable temperature. Retail buildings should be equipped with efficient and dependable heating and cooling systems regardless of your area’s current weather and climate conditions.
5. Security Systems
Business owners should include sections for security systems in the retail building construction design. It protects your employees, customers, and goods on display. Consider adding fire alarms and fire safety systems, access control systems, surveillance, and security alarm systems.
6. Storage and Inventory Management
Every retail space requires an area for inventory and storage. These design features allow your team to ensure efficient stocking, merchandise organization, and proper product flow from warehouse to shopping spaces.
7. Parking Facilities
Studies show that 30% of traffic in U.S. urban areas is spent searching for suitable parking spaces. You extend an essential service and attract more customers by providing efficient, reliable parking areas. Sufficient and efficient parking is vital for retail and commercial establishments. Easy and convenient access to available parking can spell the difference when customers decide where to shop next. Parking spaces must be appropriately marked, efficiently designed, and easily accessible.
Types of Retail Construction Projects
There are several retail construction projects, and each one offers unique benefits for both customers and tenants, allowing you to meet the needs of your target market. You can develop various construction projects, from malls to chic lifestyle centers. At Stovall Construction, we offer flexible design options and customizable features, giving you a wealth of opportunities to address your team’s and clientele’s needs.
- Standalone Retail Sites: Customers often visit these stores and locations to purchase specific products. Since these are standalone facilities, they require clearly defined entrances and exit points, accessible parking, and clear product displays; examples of these retail spaces include supermarkets, showrooms, specialty retail outlets, convenience shops, and big box stores. At Stovall Construction, many of the standalone retail projects in our portfolio involve interior touch-ups, storefront construction, and renovations.
- Malls: One of the most common retail building construction projects in our portfolio in Stovall involves constructing and upgrading various malls. These structures house several retail outlets and other storefronts. They provide securely enclosed spaces and also include several outdoor features and components. Malls also feature areas for comfort, eating, shopping, entertainment, and enjoyment. Some common elements in malls include elevators, escalators, seating, multiple entrances and exits, artwork, plants, balconies, water features, and various walkways. Retail construction can focus on product placement and brand awareness to encourage shoppers to visit stores housed in these commercial spaces.
- Lifestyle Shopping Centers: These specialty retail spaces prioritize an immersive shopping experience. Another crucial feature is walkability, which can be enhanced through creating a town-like atmosphere for shoppers. Retail construction works for these retail establishments focus on ambient lighting, clear and attractive walk spaces, comfortable seating, aesthetically appealing landscapes, and leisure sections. The goal behind the design is to create a cohesive and relaxed environment, which may include spas, theaters, restaurants, and office spaces. You can create a unified brand message by incorporating businesses’ various themes and design elements in these lifestyle centers.
- Showrooms: Showrooms emphasize and highlight products offered by businesses. These spaces include wide open spaces creating a unique aesthetic that allows guests to focus on specific product spaces highlighting the best features of the products on sale. Some products that can be displayed include automobiles, furniture, appliances, jewelry, and other high-value items.
Several structural considerations need to be worked out with your contractor. These features will help improve the efficiency of the design of your project.
1. Layout and Spatial Planning
Specialists will work with you to strategically layout and plan spaces in your retail areas to efficiently organize customer flow. This feature also helps improve product placement and enhance the functional elements of your commercial space.
2. Roofing and Facade Design
Various roofing materials can add a unique aesthetic feature to your project and protect your retail building. Choose roofing materials based on local climate conditions, durability, sustainability, and energy efficiency.
Facade design serves branding purposes and the overall functionality of your structure. Windows, entrances, and other architectural elements can enhance your building’s visual appeal.
3. Sustainable Design
Adding sustainable design elements help to reduce the environmental impact of your project. These features include eco-friendly materials, energy-efficient HVAC systems, and water-saving measures. In addition, these energy-saving features also help reduce operating costs, saving you money in the long run.
Planning Your Retail Facility
Retail construction requires meticulous planning, market analysis, and feasibility studies. These elements are essential in site selection and evaluation since they can impact your business’s success and profitability. Various sites need to be assessed to determine their suitability. Customer demographics, site accessibility, proximity to major roads, and visibility can contribute to the potential amount of foot traffic generated by your retail space.
Experienced contractors from Stovall Construction will also review zoning regulations with you to ensure that the intended retail use is permitted. We help you secure the necessary permits and comply with local building codes and environmental regulations.
Our team has extensive experience providing custom retail building construction services since 1970. Leverage our expertise, and we can help bring your vision for your retail space to life. Fill out our online contact form today to get a quote.